Mary Alice Mooney Richardson went to be with the Lord May 8, 2012. She was born November 14, 1916, in Flatwood, Wise County Virginia. She was the daughter of John Green and Sena Trimble Mooney. She was a resident of Big Four for more than 60 years and has resided with her daughter Patricia Bell for the past 5 years. Her husband, Harvey H. Richardson preceded her in death. She leaves behind a large family that loved her dearly and will miss her deeply.
Her son Wayne Richardson and wife Kimiko of Falls Church, Va.; and three daughters, JoAnn Parker of Sulphur La., Mary Hicks and husband Tom of Bumpass, Va., and Patricia Bell and husband Jack of Winchester, Va. survive her. She also leaves a legacy of ten grandchildren; Cynthia Robertson, Washington Texas; Alan Richardson, Gainsville Va.; Tanya Carrier, Sulphur La,; Thomas Parker, Baton Rouge La.; Douglas Bell, Winchester Va.; Eric Richardson, Falls Church Va.; Mary Katherine Dudley, Bumpass Va.; Bryan Bell, Sterling Va. and Leigh Michelle Hicks of Bumpass Va., 12 great Grandchildren and eight Great Great Grandchildren also survive her.
Mary was a well-known resident of Big Four having moved there in 1932. She was a clerk in Kaufman’s Grocery Store, owned by Abe and Bessie Kaufman, for more than 30 years. Mary and her husband also owned and operated Richardson Coal Co. consisting of several strip mines in the Kimball area.
Mary was active in many organizations over the course of her life, she belonged to the Eastern Star, the PTA that served Big Four Elementary School before the school was closed. She was well-known chaperone of her daughters’ high school activities, including Rainbow Girls and Prim Priscilla’s. She was also a girl scout leader in the early 1950’s.
She was educated in the Kimball Schools, and obtained a high school diploma through a correspondence school when she was in her 40’s. Friends and neighbors sought her help in legal and private matters, and she was known as a friend to all.
She attended the Big Four Pentecostal Church and sang in the choir and served in the Women’s Auxiliary, before her move to Winchester. She loved to travel and had traveled extensively throughout the United States as well as England, Scotland and Wales.
It was Mary’s desire that upon her death her body be taken directly to the cemetery where her beloved husband is buried. A service was held in the chapel at Woodlawn Cemetery in Bluewell, West Virginia on May 11, 2012. The family found great comfort in being joined at the service by friends and former neighbors.